We’re all guilty of saying “I’m so busy” at least once a day. Has this become the new normal? Have these three words become the scapegoat of 2017? More and more people I talk to will utter those three words 1 minute into the conversation and I’m wondering if this goes much deeper.
What is the obsession with telling people you're really busy, and what does this say about us?
Have we become a society that measures our self worth by the amount of spare time we have in a day? All this does is ignite the one-up factor. If you haven’t hear of it, this is when the I’m so busy humble bragger loses his/her momentum when the other person try's to top the story and before you know it the hunger games have unleashed and it’s the fight for the - Who’s the Busiest medal. That may be a bit dramatic but seriously, what are we doing?
Does a busy schedule give us a sense of purpose?
Does your life and every experience have to be insta-worthy? The short answer is NO. Work keeps us busy, families keep us busy but more importantly, we are in control of what we consider busy. If there is one message you take away from this post please remember this, never measure yourself by how busy you are, live the happiest life you can live and find that one thing that makes you smile and nurture it.
Let’s take that precious energy and convert it into something productive.
I challenge you to swap out one I’m so busy rant a week and turn it into a 15 minute meal prep. Try swapping it out for this 4 day lunch bowl and bump up your salad game.
Rotisserie Chicken Salad Lunch Bowl
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 0
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
AUTHOR: Mary Mammoliti / Kitchen Confession / kitchenconfession.com
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Leak proof lunch containers x 4
- Chopped Romain lettuce
- Cucumber, sliced
- Grape tomatoes
- Strawberries, sliced
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- Shredded red cabbage, marinade in your favourite dressing overnight
- A sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese x 4
- 1 rotisserie chicken (half for lunch containers and half for dinner)
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite dressing in a separate travel container x 4
LUNCH BOWL ASSEMBLY
- Wash all your veggies
- Slice your cucumber into thinnish circular disks, slice your strawberries and chop your strawberries
- Line up your empty lunch containers
- Fill each one with lettuce, top with whole grape tomatoes, strawberry slices, cucumber slices, bell pepper, marinated red cabbage, sprinkle crumbled feta, and shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Insert the tiny dressing container and seal your lunch bowl with the lid and place in the refridgerator.
- Purchase a cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocer, shred and use half to top your salads and the other half for a dinner accompanied by delicious veggie sides.
- When selecting your produce look for the pre-cut bags of lettuce & cabbage. This will trim down prep time as well.
- No need to cut your grape tomatoes just toss them in whole.
- Toss your shredded red cabbage in dressing, store in an airtight container and refridgerate overnight. Top your salads the next day with a cup of marinated cabbage, cover with the lid and take it to go. Marinating the cabbage softens it and adds extra flavour.