Sunday's Meal Prep was today's lunch. While cooking this meal I learned a very important lesson. Never listen to a play list that has you singing and dancing while cooking. You'll forget to remove the broccoli from the steamer ..... over cooked broccoli (sad face emoji). I've created another lunch bowl, because I simply can't get enough of them. Enjoy warriors! You deserve it!!
~~ xo's Mary
Spinach Basil Pesto Chicken Burger
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
SERVES: 4 Burgers
AUTHOR: Mary Mammoliti | Kitchen Confession
For the Pesto:
- 3 cups spinach
- 5 large basil leaves
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon water, to thin pesto if needed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
For the Burgers:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 red onion, grated over the ground chicken to capture all the juices.
- Preheat oven 350°F
- Add spinach, basil, lemon, olive oil, nuts, parmesan cheese and garlic to the bowl of a food processor or high-powered blender (I used Vitamix). Process until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of water to thin pesto if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil to a large pan And set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, 2-3 tablespoons of pesto, grated red onion, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together and form into 4 patties. I used a 1/2 cup to ensure even size patties.
- Heat the pan with olive oil on medium/low heat and place burgers in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until a golden brown colour.
- Place burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet and into your preheated oven for 20 minutes or until done.
- Pair with veggies or on a bun.