Panettone is a staple in our home during Christmas. A flood of childhood memories follows every bite. During this time of year a warm cup of coffee is almost always paired with a giant slice of Panettone. Snacks, meals, I can, and have eaten it all day long (insert can’t stop won’t stop here). Naturally a Baked Panettone French Toast would make it to my breakfast table after the holidays. It’s a great way to use up any left over Panettone that may have made it past Christmas. This easy and delicious breakfast can be prepped the night before and ready to bake in the morning!
On a side note, I’ve also made this the morning of, it just means you’ll have to wait at least 2 hours prior to enjoying this sweet treat.
BAKED PANETTONE FRENCH TOAST WITH ORANGE MAPLE BUTTER
PREP TIME: 15 minutes + 2 hours refrigerator time
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 3 hours
AUTHOR: Mary Mammoliti / Kitchen Confession
- 2 cups 2% milk or half and half
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 panettone, quartered and cut into 10, 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted mixed nuts (optional)
ORANGE MAPLE BUTTER
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (or zest of one medium mandarin)
PREPARE THE FRENCH TOAST
- Generously butter a 13x9x2 baking dish, you don't want the French toast to stick. Arrange panettone slices in the dish, overlapping as needed to fit. In a large bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon. Pour egg mixture over the panettone slices, gently pressing to absorb. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours, or overnight upto 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in middle position. Sprinkle casserole with chopped nutsi. Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray and cover the baking dish. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover baking dish and continue baking 15-20 minutes, until center is hot and French toast is puffed. Let stand 5 minutes before sprinkling with powdered sugar and serving with a drizzle of Orange Maple Butter.
MAKE THE ORANGE MAPLE BUTTER
- Warm maple syrup in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in orange zest and butter. Keep warm until ready to serve.